Pages

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Redesigning Colcheter

 Redesigning Colchester
  
For my final project, i shall be investigating at spaces around colchester which could have the potential to become a new modern social area. I shall take photos of areas around colchester which shall help me to  choose which is the best area to redesign. I will then sketch  design ideas and plans into a small a5 sketch book, this book will be used as a journal for my developing ideas. Once i have chosen an area i shall design, i will begin to work in my main A3 sketch book and sketch up final designs. Whilst in the process of designing the areas, i shall research other modern places and furniture to aid my in my designs.



My final major project will incorporate in exterior and interior design. I wish to design a space within the college grounds, which has an important function, which at the moment is currently insufficient for its purpose. I am planning to design new area where students can have a social area outside. I feel that it is important to design a social space, as there is insufficient space for students to socialize which is also creating a problem in the college canteen due to being over crowded. The design will be innovative for chilling out space and relaxing.  I intend to produce hand drawn designs, which will then be edited and made in CAD. I shall then gather my final designs and constructed them in scale size with foam board. 

As I am designing an outside social space for students within the college grounds. To make the design feel modern and original, I must look at other social design areas such as outdoor gazebos and seating.  I have research a place called serpentine gallery, which does an exhibition every year, which focus on social space. Every year famous architects such as frank Gehry travel from around the world to design a social space in Hyde Park for citizens to use. I plan to go to the serpentine gallery in in Hyde Park, London to experience this year’s social space design and learn more about previous projects.  I feel these architects will give me a better understanding on how to design an area for a social space. I will look at previous architects I have researched from my last project such as Renzo Piano to inspire me with my designs.  I feel that I should also consider researching sculptural artists, as it will aid me to create an artistic view to my architecture designs.
 
I will explore a variety of colours, textures and materials, which could potentially be used, within my final design. I must consider other effects and medias such as lighting and acoustics, which also play an important role in my designs. I intend to use a variety of process to develop my designs and enhance the quality of my final model. These will include experimenting with graphic pens, water colours, foam board, etc.. I will also upload my designs onto a computer and digitally edit them with Photoshop and sketch up to enhance the final designs. Given that that I am design a space for public space, It is important to think about health and safety. I must make sure that there are no hazardous materials to be used within my design for example, sharp corners, corrosive materials etc.…
I have created a time plan, which will allow me to structure my time and keep within my time limit.  

I will be evaluating my work continuously throughout the project by writing in my reflective journal and Blog website. I shall begin by writing about my idea designs, feelings and alternative solutions allowing me to progress. I will have recent one to one discussions with my teachers to gain advice and help throughout my project.  I also plan on gather information and criticism about my design ideas from other students. 
 





Mon
Tues
Weds
Thurs
Fri
21/03/11





28/03/11





04/04/11
Complete  SOI drafts  and prepare sketch book
11/04/11
Easter
Research and visit the Serpentine gallery.
Investigate post –modern structures and sculptures.
18/04/11
Easter
Identify the needs of an outside social facility by using books and internet sources.
These facilities include: seating,  tables, shade etc.  
25/04/11
Photograph the area which is going to be redesigned and upload and edit images on computer. Using hand drawn methods and computer programs, Grid out the area which shall be constructed on.

02/05/11

Developing design ideas of architecture structures.
These ideas will be recorded and sketched down into my art book journal.

09/05/11
Research into suitable materials which could be used to be used in construction.
These materials must be safe and strong to use around the environment. Also consider which materials make a design modern.
16/05/11
Develop  and render rough ideas. Developing through ideas and record notes
Review and asses ideas. Way up pro’s and con’s of each design.
23/05/11
Edit and finalise ideas  which shall prepare me for model construction. 
30/05/11
Produce scale size models of final design ideas .The models shall be constructed out of  crafting card / foam board.  Photograph  and upload models to computer  which will be edited and touched up on CAD and other programs like Photoshop and sketchup
Asses and compare models.
06/06/11
Exhibition Installation. This will take some time to set up so i must be prepared.  
FMP Evaluation
Unit 10 Deadline
13/06/11
Assessment – No access to studios 
Private view
14/06/11
Exhibition open to the public – students invigilate exhibition 
27/06/11
Take down exhibition /take work home


No comments:

Post a Comment