Pages

Thursday 19 May 2011

Will Alsop

Will  Allen Alsop  is a British architect based in London. He is responsible for several distinctive and controversial modernist buildings, most in the United Kingdom. Alsop's buildings are usually distinguished by their use of bright colour and unusual forms. While Alsop has won praise from some critics and fans of avant-garde architecture, he has also faced criticism from fellow architects and some segments of the general public.


Alsop was born on 12 December 1947. He always wanted to be an architect, even before he really knew what architects did; when he was six years old, he designed a house for his mother to live in – its most striking specification was that it had to be built in New Zealand. When he was 16 his father, an accountant, died, and being bored with school he left to work for an architect, doing his A-levels at evening classes.
He was greatly influenced by his drawing tuitor, Henry Bird while at foundation course at Northampton Art School. He recalled how was taught to draw by him. "He gave me a brick, told me to draw it and promptly left the room. I proceeded to draw it with all its shadows. On his return he went into a rage and chastised me for destroying the vision with shading, shouting: 'What is wrong with a simple line?' He insisted that I redo the drawing with line only so that I could begin to see the brick and its proportions. I drew that brick for two three hour sessions per week, line only, for three months. Eventually, he admitted that I had mastered the brick and I was allowed to progress onto the tin can. After 18 months it was the nude model. His vision was one of economy of line and discipline. It worked."


Hamburg Ferry Terminal
Hamburg, Germany
Completed 1993


Sharp Centre for Design, Ontario College of Art & Design
Toronto, Canada
Completed 2004

Palestra, 197
Blackfriars Road, Southwark, London, England
Completed 2006

I really enjoy Aslop's work as it reminds me of my previous work on my cube structure. The colour he uses are very bold and in your face which really stands out in the surrounding environment. His creations very bizarre and unusual as they dont fit in with its surroundings.




No comments:

Post a Comment